Animal Testing

The place to discuss issues being debated in the 2009-2010 school year -- briefs, legislation and debate.

Moderator: Officers

Bob Fenster
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Animal Testing

Post by Bob Fenster »

Considering that we only got four RSVPs from parents, the advisers have decided to cancel the night debate.
gotrimski

Post by gotrimski »

Why are we canceling this? There are 6 families who agreed to come... that's at least 12 parents, not including siblings. Maybe you should make it clear to the parents that it is OK to just come and watch their children, even though we encourage them to speak. I just don't think that we should cancel this... I'm sure more people are actually interested than it might seem, and this idea could be one to use in future years if it proves to be successful... I just don't think you should ruin this for the interested parents just because we didn't meet some imaginary bar that has been set.
EWang

Post by EWang »

And I'm sure there are more families who are coming than just the ones who reserved. Many debaters don't even know that the families needed to sign up in advance.
galukal

Post by galukal »

That included me. My dad is coming.
Bob Fenster
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Fenster »

Because six families say they are coming doesn't mean 12 parents are coming. I bet the number would be closer to 6 than 12 due to one parent begging off due to other commitments. Even if we had 12, that would be a rather pathetic turnout considering there are 25-30 members of the organization.

Throw in the fact that the bill wasn't written until the last minute and there was virtually no discussion of it online, I don't think we'd be putting our best foot forward.

Oh, and rule number one of throwing a party is not to assume that people who didn't respond are going to attend (and to keep in mind that someone who said "yes" might not actually follow through). I'm speaking only for myself, but I have a hunch the other advisers agree: to give up an evening with my family I need to know that the majority of Debate families are going to be participating.