Cuba Policy

The place to discuss issues being debated in the 2009-2010 school year -- briefs, legislation and debate.

Moderator: Officers

bromano

Re: Cuba Policy

Post by bromano »

I would like to ask why Cuba would want to continue to be linked to the United States if the United States is taking almost complete control of them. We are in charge of their money, saying they can't impose any tariffs, and if they do, we will too. And we aren't allowed to help them at all unless we can benefit? I find this slightly unreasonable as not only is it vague as what this "national security interests" are, it basically separates Cuba from us, ensuring a revolution in the yeasr to come.
galukal

Post by galukal »

Ben, have you heard of trade wars? We're not restricting their trade with other nations. We're not in charge of their money. And national security is our national security. We're not in charge of them, not giving them free things is not ebing in charge of them.
VSharma

Post by VSharma »

this is the incorrect time frame to take off the embargo. Fidel Castro's death is expectantly near. Although Rahul Castro is in power, he is influenced immensely by Fidel Castro. Once Fidel Castro passes away, Us needs to put pressure on Rahul Castro. If this ebargo is taken away, it will allow dictation to occur in Cuba for numerous more years. Also, I was wondering what happened to my last post?
jkral

Post by jkral »

The Cubans are poor due to the government taking their money. Only the rich Communist Party elite would be able to afford American goods such as electronics and new cars, and Castro would only be able to show that the US is soft on foreign policy under Obama and prove that US critics can walk all over us. Cubans will not benefit from the restrictions being lifted except travel restrictions, and the market for US goods in Cuba is bad (poor!). This bill is a waste of time, but I will not shoot it down, especially if you add a part lifting travel restrictions.
mlind

Post by mlind »

Ending the embargo won't support the totalitarian government of Cuba anymore than maintaining it will. In fact, some would say that ending it would help Cuba. In one poll, about 90% of human rights activists in Cuba supported lifting the embargo. According to Elizardo Sanchez, "isolation is oxygen to totalitarians." According to them, the embargo is helping the bad guys.

Plus, I really just don't think our government is in any position to be punishing the Cuban government for their human rights abuses and for being evil commies and whatnot.
VSharma

Post by VSharma »

There is a flaw with section five about Guantanamo bay. In January 21, 2009, Obama created an Eecutive Order that will shut down Guantanamo Bay Naval Base. Thois contradicts with section five, which states to keep the base running. I agree with the base closing because it improves United States' relationship with human rights actvists and foreign governments.
VSharma

Post by VSharma »

one of my sources for the last statement:

http://www.humanrightsfirst.org/blog/hr ... osing.html
mlind

Post by mlind »

The executive order closes the detention center at Guantanamo Bay, not the entire Guantanamo Bay naval base.